Aug 21, 2013

Canning Pickled Red Beets - Printable Recipe




My very first canning experience, many, many years ago was with beets! It's super easy! 


We usually plant Detroit Dark Red beets. The recipe for pickling & canning beets is rather simple but can be a bit messy, if you're doing large batches you may want to wear rubber gloves.

Pickled Red Beets


Ingredients:

35-40 small beets, unpeeled
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
2 cups vinegar
any of the following spices, if desired.
1 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
1 teaspoon allspice (optional)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1 teaspoon whole cloves (optional)

Directions:
  1. Wash and trim beets, leaving 2 inches of stem and the tap root to retain color while cooking.
  2. In a large pot, cook unpeeled beets until fork-tender, do not overcook. 
  3. When the beets are cool enough to handle, yet still warm/hot, *slip-off the skins.
  4. Return beets to a clean large pot, keeping small beets whole and cutting larger beets in half or quarters.
  5. Add sugar, water, vinegar and any spices, if desired, to the large pot of beets.
  6. Bring to boil, simmer for 10 minutes.
  7. Working quickly, spoon hot beets into hot jars and pour enough hot liquid into jars to cover beets, leaving 1 inch head space.
  8. Wipe rim of jar clean, place lid and ring, hand-tighten.
  9. Process in boiling water bath for 12 minutes.
  10. makes approx. 6 pints or 3 quarts.
*To slip-off skins, grasp beet in fist and squeeze. The skin should easily slide off, this is the messy but fun part!
Personal note: I do not add any spices during the canning process, I wait to see how I will be serving them to add addition flavor.
Maria Matter @ Five Simple Things




I enjoy pulling these deep red darlings off the pantry shelf over the holidays to serve with pickled eggs!

Do you grow red beets in your garden?
Do you 'put-up' food for the winter?




Follow on Bloglovin
♥ Follow Me On Bloglovin'

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow - I love beets! Mind you I love anything pickled :-) TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Yummy, Maria, I love beetroot, but I love the unpickled stuff, best, thanks for sharing this recipe, I think I might just get around to this xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I enjoy hearing from you!
Blessings, Maria